Posted: 14 November, 2016

Australian Woman Reportedly Suffered Second Degree Burns From Her iPhone 7

Warning: graphic image

Tags: apple

A pregnant Australian woman has reportedly suffered second degree burns from her iPhone 7.


Melanie Tan Pelaez, from Western Sydney, had her iPhone plugged into a charger while she was watching movies on the device.

She fell asleep with the iPhone on her arm. When she woke up she had pain, pins and needles, numbness and shortness of breath.  

“I went to get dressed and realised my arm was very red, so I then went to the GP and they advised me I needed to go straight to the hospital,” she told news.com.au.

“The hospital did a number of tests and told me the mark was a burn from a foreign object and told me to check around my bed to see what could be the cause of the injury.”


Ms Tan Pelaez took her phone to an Apple Store. She was initially told it couldn’t be the phone, but the device was later sent to a senior technician in California for testing. She has been offered a replacement iPhone 7, which she declined.

Image: Apple

Tags: apple

To Read Next